Heartwarming Chicken potato pie
This recipe can be made with chicken or turkey.
- 6 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into pieces)
- 2 tsp creme fraiche
- 330 g chicken (or turkey cooked and cut into bite size chunks)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper (freshly milled)
- 150 g cooked vegetables (sliced – carrots / courgettes / broccoli / French beans or peas)
- 4 spring onions (washed and sliced)
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour (plain, white or wholemeal)
- 560 ml semi skimmed milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / Gas 6 / 400°F
- To make mashed potatoes, cook the potato pieces in a pan with boiling water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your pieces, until the potato is soft. Drain and mash with half fat crème fraiche, milk or cream will do. Add a twist of milled black pepper.
- Meanwhile to make sauce, melt butter in pan and add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon and it will form a paste.
- Gradually add the milk � this is easier using a balloon whisk but a wooden spoon will do � and keep stirring to ensure it is smooth.
- Bring to boil to thicken and thoroughly cook the flour then reduce heat. Add the chicken and vegetables. Stir to combine. If the mix is a little thick, then add a little more milk and stir to blend in. Spread the mix in an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the mashed potato and spread evenly. Use a fork to decorate.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the potato topping is golden and the chicken mix is thoroughly heated through.
Serve with a side salad and pickles such as beetroot.